Wednesday, May 19, 2010

In the City of Blinding Lights

So, what do you think about New York? I remember what my impression about New York was when I had not been there yet. From what I saw in movies and books, I thought of it as being all concrete and steel, with no character. But it all changed when I actually started living there. I was in Brooklyn for a while. It was thousands of miles away and oceans apart from home, but still felt like home. I miss so much about it, like the Jamaican roti, the jerk chicken, the Kosher bakeries, the Chinese dry cleaners, the thin crust pizza, the B 46 bus, the sight of Afroamerican Hasidic Jews and of burka clad Pakistani women, the board walk at the Brighton beach, the African braiding hair salons, the Chinese nails places, the Caribbean Day Parade ... which is the most colorful display of any ethnic heritage, the Russian accent, the Kings Plaza (and the Marine Park), the noise, the hussle and bussle that never lets you be alone. Thank you Brooklyn, for everything. Thank you New York. I love you.

2 comments: